Developed over 60 years ago and made in the U.S.A., Whirl-Pak® bags were the first sterile sample bags on the market. Whirl-Pak® bags made possible the “universal sample system,” which means that a single sample can be used for all tests required for quality control, product content, and legal compliance. Whirl-Pak® sample bags are a co-extrusion of low-density and linear low-density, virgin polyethylene, giving the bags two important characteristics:
- Exceptionally clear film — easy to see through
- Superior strength — unbreakable sample container
They may be used for taking samples of liquids, semi-solids, or solids. Whirl-Pak® bags are patented under Patent No. 2,973,131 and other patents pending. The film thickness varies from 2.25 mils (0.057 mm) to 4.0 mils (0.102 mm), depending on size and style. Because of the high-quality blended polyethylene, a high mil thickness is not required to achieve optimum strength.
"Puncture Proof Tabs"
All Whirl-Pak® bags feature “PUNCTURE-PROOF TABS.” This patented process extends the tape on the tab past the aluminum wire ends eliminating the sharp points which could puncture the bags, scratch a person’s hands, or puncture gloves. This important product feature is found only on Whirl-Pak®, making it easier and safer to use than any other laboratory sample bag! The “PUNCTURE-PROOF TABS” process is patented under No. 5,180,229.
- After manufacturing, sealed cartons of Whirl-Pak® bags are sterilized at an independent, ISO-certified facility using ethylene oxide gas This process saves valuable preparation time and eliminates concern about sample integrity. To ensure the bags are sterile, a Parametric Release Process is used to confirm that all processing parameters are met and maintained throughout the sterilization cycle. The bags are shipped free from human contact in a secure liner bag inside the sealed carton.
- Lot numbers on every carton provide traceability of official sterility documentation, which is available for download at above.
- Even after a box is opened, the tear-off top of Whirl-Pak® bags preserves sterility of the bag's interior up until the moment of use.
- Whirl-Pak® bags are not autoclavable.
- Look for the Whirl-Pak® Name. Each and every bag is clearly marked with “Whirl-Pak®” on the bag. If it doesn’t say Whirl-Pak® …it’s not a bag you can trust
Reduced Storage Space
- Whirl-Pak® bags save 90% more space than other types of containers
- Valuable space savings in the lab, vehicle, warehouse, etc.
- Significant savings on shipping costs
- Easy disposal after use
- A felt-tip marker can be used to write on the plain bags
- Regular pens or pencils can be used on the special write-on surface
- Positive ID eliminates confusion and mistakes during testing and analysis procedures
- By whirling or tightly folding the tab over three times, the Whirl-Pak® bag becomes a leakproof container
- Eliminates the loss of a valuable sample
- Prevents impurities from entering the bag and contaminating the sample
Importance of Sample Collection
Proper sampling procedures are of vital importance. Laboratory findings are completely dependent on the quality of the sample collected. It is imperative that each sample be representative of the lot from which it came, and that it arrives at the laboratory in the same condition it was in at the collection point. There should be no change in chemical, physical, or biological character.