LA03075 Rev 1
Download as a PDF here
The Zefon Disposable Respirable Inhalable Sampler (DRS) is a modified variation of the Zefon Disposable Inhalable Sampler (DIS). The DRS adds a certified foam insert that has a collection efficiency that closely matches the ISO 7708/CEN convention for respirable dust. This eliminates the need for the use of a cyclone to collect the respirable dust. The DRS meets the criteria of a sampler for the OSHA permissible exposure limit (PEL) of Respirable Crystalline Silica.
• Collects on the ISO 7708/CEN convention for respirable dust.
• Meets the requirements for Respirable Crystalline Silica sampling according to OSHA 1926.1153 (final rule).
• Available with filters that are pre-weighed.
• Disposable and ready to use. Nothing to assemble or clean.
• Small and lightweight design makes it more comfortable for users to wear vs a cassette with cyclone.
• Does not require a cyclone.
Flow Rate: 2 L/min (personal sampling)
Collection Efficiency: Meets the requirements of ISO 7708/CEN particle- size-selective criteria for respirable dust samplers
Construction: Molded conductive plastic (sampler body)
Filter: 5.0µm PVC pre-weighed and un-weighed
Weight w/ cassette: 0.5 oz (15.0 gm)
Size: 2.0 x 1.0 x 1.0 in (5.1 x 2.5 x 2.5 cm)
1. Ensure the pump has been calibrated to the method flow rate.
2. Clip the DRS sampler onto a worker’s clothing near the breathing zone. This is commonly attached to the workers lapel.
3. Remove the red Outlet Plug. Save for later use.
4. Connect tubing from the Inlet of the worker’s sampling pump to the Outlet of the DRS sampler.
5. Remove the Cap covering the sampler Inlet. (This may be stored during sampling by attaching it to the back of the sampler Outlet, see figure below.)
6. Sample for the duration specified by the chosen method.
7. After sampling, cover the sampler Inlet with the Cap and insert the red Outlet Plug into the Outlet.
8. Place the sampler into a bag, package appropriately for shipment and ship to a laboratory for analysis.
1. Place the pad into the base of the sampler outlet.
2. Place the Filter and then Shell Capsule.
3. Place the O-ring over the Shell Capsule. Insert Foam into the Inlet.
4. Install sampler Inlet on top of the Shell Capsule. Take care to carefully place it over the Shell Capsule and not damage the the capsule walls. Press down on the Inlet until it snaps into place.
5. Install the protective Cap on top on the Inlet.
Note: It is important to make sure the Inlet snaps into place. If it does not snap, the sampler may exhibit leaks.
Before sampling can take place, the sampling pump and DRS sampler need to be properly calibrated. This can be done easily by using the Zefon Inhalable Sampler Calibration Adapter (p/n ZA0307). Follow the steps below:
1. Insert the DRS sampler into calibration adapter. Tighten thumbscrew until snug.
2. Connect tubing from the DRS sampler Outlet port to the Inlet fitting on the pump.
3. Attach a section of tubing to the brass hose barb on the calibration adapter and the other end to the calibrator.
4. Start the pump and adjust flow rate until the calibrator indicates 2 L/min.
Note: Calibration Jars, such as Zefon P/N ZA0063 may alternatively be used for calibration.