The Zefon Personal Nanoparticle Respiratory Deposition (NRD) samplers are designed to size-selectively collect nanoparticles with an efficiency that matches their deposition in the respiratory tract system. Their lightweight, disposable design allows them to be worn easily for personal exposure monitoring while providing the convenience of a preloaded ready to use the product.
Housing Material: Carbon Filled Polypropylene
Filter Material (diffusion stage): Nylon or Foam (depending on model)
Collection Efficiency: <300nm with an efficiency designed to match the efficiency at which particles deposit in the respiratory tract
Cut-Point (cyclone stage): 4µm
Cut-Point (impactor stage): 300nm
Flow Rate: 2.5 LPM
1. Remove the black plug from the NRD sampler inlet and insert the 25mm Aluminum cyclone.
2. Place the NRD/Cyclone assembly into the cyclone holder.
3. Remove red outlet plug and pull the top retainer over the outlet of the NRD sampler.
4. Connect the tubing adapter to the outlet of the NRD cassette.
5. Check to make sure the cyclone is oriented correctly by making sure the locating nub is seated as shown.
6. Sample using a calibrated personal sampling pump at a flow rate of 2.5 LPM.
1. After sampling, remove the cyclone and re-install the black plug over the inlet. Make sure to push the plug all the way in for a tight seal.
2. Insert the red outlet plug.
3. Send to laboratory for analysis. (The Zefon NRD sampler is a new concept for personal nanoparticle exposure monitoring. As such, not all laboratories have defined an analysis protocol for the Zefon NRD sampler. Please contact your laboratory before sampling to discuss analysis options.)
1. In the laboratory, carefully open filter cassette at the diffusion stage.
2. Remove the series of diffusion filters or foam, digest, and process via chemical analysis.
3. The impaction stage is not designed to be analyzed and may be discarded.
3 Stages of particle removal eliminates unwanted particles
Stage 3: Diffusion Stage
Air passes through a diffusion stage consisting of a series of nylon filters or a 2” section of foam, collecting particles <300nm with an efficiency designed to match the efficiency at which particles deposit in the respiratory tract.
Stage 2: Impaction Stage
Air passes through an impaction stage where particles larger than 300nm are removed using an impaction plate.
Stage 1: Respirable Cyclone (sold separately)
A respirable aluminum cyclone (Zefon #ZA0075) at a flow rate of 2.5 LPM is used to remove particles larger than 4µm in size.